Monday, June 24, 2024

The quest for a new camera: Part 2

So, recently my friend Joeri van Veen and I went to see a guy about a camera. As you know, I've been looking at 100 MP cameras as an alternative for my current digital shooter. You can catch up here, but in the end it was the challenging choice that I wanted to explore further. So we hopped into Joeri's classic MR2 and comfortably drove to one of the bigger camera stores that was bound to have this camera plus some other related gear in stock.

On the road in Joeri's MR2

Meet the Fujifilm GFX 100S II

The GFX 100S II and my Pentax 645Z
(all photos Joeri van Veen)

There were a few things I wanted to see or test. The first was the electronic view finder (EVF). As I am used to (D)SLRs not looking through the lens but looking at a small screen is a new experience for me. I was actually very surprised how well this works. After some fiddling around, I set the EVF settings to EVF on and screen off when my eye is near the view finder and EVF off and screen on when it is not.

The camera body is quite small for a medium format camera. It is not much bigger that my Pentax LX with the winder fitted and small when compared to my Pentax 645Z.

Next, I had a list of lenses that I wanted to test with de GFX. First up was the Fujinon GF 45-100mm f/4 lens. I have used a 45-85mm lens on my Pentax 645D and Z before and I love the reach of this lens. The Fujinon 45-100 has even a bit more reach so seems like a perfect fit.

Checking the screen

This lens is a big son of a gun...

...but feels good when combined with the camera

Contemplating...

Getting used to the EVF

Next up was the Fujinon GF 100-200mm f/5.6 lens. If the 45-100 was a son of a gun then I don't know how to describe this lens as it is even bigger. This setup however feels well combined.

Feeling the power of the 100-200mm

Zooming in and out

Quite the combination

Nice set
An impressive piece of kit altogether. 

The third lens I wanted to look at was the Mitakon 65mm f/1.4. This sadly was not in stock.

Another thing I really wanted to test was the usefulness of my Canon 100-400mm lens when paired with the GFX. I learned that adapters exist that allow auto focus (AF) to be used. I tried this with the Viltrox EF-GFX mount adapter.

The fit is snug

Focus, darn you!

I like the feeling of this camera-lens combo

So does this work? Well, yes. It does focus. However, I found the AF to be very slow and the AF kept hunting when focusing most of the time. 

So what are my thoughts? Well, from what I've experienced at the store there are quite a few things I like about the GFX 100S II: The EVF is better than I dared to hope, the body handles well in my hands, the two lenses I was able to test felt good when combined with the camera body, the AF points can be controlled with the touch of a single button, I like the way information is displayed in the EVF and the GFX fits well in my camera bag. I had to fiddle a lot to get the ISO to change, only later I discovered that the forward control dial needs to be pressed backwards to achieve that. One thing I don't like is that the charger for the batteries is not included in the box. Why?

The lenses themselves feel pretty solid. The fact that they have an actual aperture ring was a nice discovery and this is something I really like. I would also have liked to test the Mitakon 65mm f/1,4 but alas, this is for another time.

The GFX-EX adapter was a nice idea but the AF is to slow for me to consider this. I guess I have to start saving for the GF 500mm f/5.6 instead.

And talking about savings, I think my expression says it all when being told the actual amount this was going to set me back...

Holy Moly!



















So did I go for it? Yes, in the end I managed to get a good deal so I walked back to Joeri's MR2 holding several boxes. Boxes that needed space to store them. In an MR2. Oh, wait...

Am I really doing this?

From riches to rags in under a minute...


2 comments:

  1. It was such a nice day! Had a lot of fun buying this camera with you. The *challenging choice* does indeed seem to be a great fit for you. Loved the body and the 100-200 in particular. Not jealous at all ;-)

    Did you find out what the ‘C’ setting on the aperture ring is?

    ROFL @ ‘Boxes that needed space to store them. In an MR2. Oh, wait...’ This was indeed a bit of an unanticipated move, and that with the road closure and fierce sun posed a challenge on the way back, but we did well I think.

    Enjoyed your post as usual, looking forward to your work with this camera, and to more days shooting together.

    PS I guess this camera is not eligible for the frugal project?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I guess this camera is not eligible for the frugal project?" HAHAHAHA! I'll probably get booted out of the project after this.

      I actually found out that the C stand for command. I feel like a proper general now! ;-) It actually means I can use the command dial to control aperture. One more thing to discover :-D

      I really enjoyed the day, thanks for taking me and the MR2 for a spin. Let's do it again!

      Delete