Sunday, October 4, 2026

Achtung Panzer - Soesterberg's Shermans [part II]

After visiting the first Sherman in Soesterberg (see part I) I continued my journey to the Nationaal Militair Museum (National Military Museum) hoping that I could photograph another Sherman. 

GFX 100S II, 45-100mm, Provia film simulation

Now this Sherman has been with the museum since it opened in 2014. However with new management it was decided that this somewhat damaged tank had to go. 

A shot from 2022 when it was still displayed in the main building. 
Canon RT, EF 24-105 lens, Fomapan 200 black & white film.

Well, it's not exactly gone, but removed from the main building and transported to the museum arena as a 'prop' for want of a better word. The arena is not always open, but I was lucky and able to shoot (yes, pun intended) this particular Sherman.

Lots of hits on this Sherman.
GFX 100S II, 45-100mm, Provia film simulation

As can be seen this particular Sherman was a range target, let's see what else we can discover. From what I understand this Sherman was a range target at the Artillerie Schietkamp (Artillery Range Camp) near the barracks at 't Harde before it was removed and transported to the museum. 

This Sherman was banished to the museum arena.
GFX 100S II, 45-100mm, Provia film simulation

The cast hull means that this is an M4A1, the only Sherman version with the cast hull. This is a late production machine fitted with the 76mm gun. 

US Army serial number 30125829.
GFX 100S II, 45-100mm, Provia film simulation

Turret number 2100.
GFX 100S II, 45-100mm, Provia film simulation

The manufacturer serial number seems to be filed off but US Army registration 30125829 is still visible, making this an M4A1(76)W built by Pressed Steel Car. The turret serial number is 2100.

White target stripes?
GFX 100S II, 45-100mm, Provia film simulation

I haven't been able to find out what the white stripes on the upper fuselage and turret mean so if you know, let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment