Thursday, February 11, 2021

Snow

I've probably told you that I'm a sucker for snowy landscape photo's but even if I didn't you'd very likely get that message after seeing these shots. With lovely evening light and snowy fields I joined up with fellow photographer Joeri van Veen and took the Pentax 645Z out for a spin.


Camera of choice

While I selected the 645Z as I'm still getting to know this camera Joeri brought a Sony A7. Ideally suited for trekking, the A7 is a compact camera that packs quite a punch image-wise. Funnily enough Sony's A7R was one of the cameras that made the shortlist a few years ago when it was time to upgrade my set of digital cameras after years of using a Canon EOS-1Ds and EOS-1D Mark II combination. If you're interested, I did a write-up of that selection process which ultimately led to me acquiring my Pentax 645D. Joeri has since gone further and now usually fields a very impressive Cambo Ultima 23D large format camera combined with a Leaf Aptus 22 digital back. Impressive as it is, a Cambo set is not considered ideal for hiking so Joeri quite sensibly bought his Sony A7 as an easy-to-carry companion to the Cambo.

With regards to the 645Z I am very impressed by its photographs. That huge sensor captures detail like no other sensor I've seen and even a cropped image from this camera packs a lot of punch. Let me show you a few examples:



A few more (un-cropped) shots from earlier this evening:







Location: Naarden
Camera: Pentax 645Z
Lens: SMC Pentax-DFA 645 55mm f/2.8 AL [IF] SDM AW

2 comments:

  1. It was a fun walk in the snow during sunset in our beautiful neighbourhood. Also very nice reminiscing about that choice we were making some 7 years ago. You are right sticking to the Pentax system, both the 645Z and the 645D are amazing and a lot nicer to bring outside than my old Mamiya with Aptus 22 (let alone the Cambo... Thanks for the links though!!). I’m still looking for a better machine for on the road / hiking / vacation / outside, even though the A7 works well for now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joeri and you're quite welcome! Indeed I'm quite pleased with my Pentaxes. Not to mention that I got that 645Z for a steal as the price went up with a whopping € 1.000 a few weeks after I bought it.

    ReplyDelete