Saturday, April 1, 2023

Winter 2023

Now that spring has arrived I find myself looking back to winter - my photography last winter that is. So what have I been up to in the last three months?

45 Squadron Phenom 100 ZM337 landing at RAF Cranwell

Winter weather

Contrary to popular belief we sometimes actually have winter weather in Dutch winters. Not much, true, but I guess we lucked out. With actual ice and snow around my good friend Joeri and I dropped everything we were doing and headed out into the freezing cold.

Joeri trying out my Pentax 50mm f/1.2 lens

Skating at Lake Naarden

Just a few days before I managed to get my hands on a 45mm pancake lens. A perfect time to see what this could do. Joeri thought pretty much the same thing, trying out my Pentax 50mm f/1.2 lens on his Sony A7. Check out his thoughts on this combo.

My small automobile after the first snow

Snow on the meadows

More snow on the meadows

Sadly the snow thawed away after a few days, being replaced by rain...

Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 80mm f/2.8

Another find was a pristine Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 80mm f/2.8 P6 mount lens at a local photography fair. I was keen to put this lens through its paces so I called up Joeri and off we went.

No trespassing

Joeri toting his trusty Sony A7

The grey brick road

In this case I grabbed my Pentax 645Z and used an P6-Pentax 645 adapter. I am very satisfied with the way the lens performed, this copy is a keeper.

Canon EF 35mm f/2

Another lens I got acquainted with was the Canon EF 35mm f/2. I've had this lens for a while now but somehow I always reached for the 24-105 or similar lens when out and about with my Canons. This is the original 35mm, not the later IS version. I actually enjoyed the 35mm more than I expected. I shot both digital and film with this lens, here is an example of a film shot:

Soviet anti-aircraft gun at the Vesting Museum

Ihagee Exa Ia

This winter I bagged not only a few lenses but a new (to me) camera as well. 

Ihagee Exa Ia fitted with a Domiplan 50mm f/2.8

This really is a fun little camera. It certainly is different from the mainstream cameras and I guess that this is part of the fun. I did a write-up of my experiences if you're interested.

Cobra Warrior 2023

In the last days of March I decided to travel to the UK to catch RAF exercise Cobra Warrior 2023. With aircraft from faraway places like India and Saudi Arabia attending this made for an interesting few days in England.

An Indian Mirage 2000 in typical English weather

The flight line at RAF Barkston Heath

A Finnish Air Force Hornet in the evening sun

Flying daily patrols over eastern Europe is this RC-135W

All in all I am quite pleased with the shots I managed to take.

Spring

This is it for winter 2023. See you in the spring!

2 comments:

  1. Nice wrap up of this dreary season. Photography-wise I really like ‘The grey brick road.’ Excellent title by the way, emphasizing its menacing symbolis, aptly commenting on the current state of society, where most people still think it’s yellow.
    Your opening photograph ‘45 Squadron Phenom 100 ZM337’ is truly phenomenal, the way the airplane contrasts with the sky. Also the finnish Hornet is beautiful in that respect. Nice to see you enjoyed yourself in the UK!
    Looking forward to your ‘spring’ blog, but we have some photographing to do before that, I guess ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joeri! And yes, you guessed right, there is photography to be done this spring! ;-)

    ReplyDelete